Suggestion Physical Currency

KGB22

Now, I know this suggestion title is going to cause some nam flashbacks to some people, especially from the servers i've been on. HOWEVER BEAR WITH ME. I am not suggesting any changes to Andros as the universal currency here, what I am suggesting is tying Andros to a physical object via plugin. This kinda relies heavily on techteam being able to impliment this or something like it and of course yalls receptiveness to such a thing.

Essentially make an Andros item or various mints (1,5,10,20 etc). When one of these coins is placed within a chest marked to be a 'vault' (i've seen this done with sign plugins, but a variation of the lock plugin could make it interesting). While in the vault it reads as part of your /bal and can be transferred via /pay like normal, or alternatively it can be exchanged physically as an item between people.

I wrote this roughly in 5 minutes off a brief memory so if you lot have any clarifying question just ask i'll try and respond. (tech team don't murder me if its not possible)

The vault part of the idea doesn't really make sense, because as it functions currently that what is displayed in your /bal is your pocket money. All of your other money is typically on the bank.
On death your pocket money is dropped along with your inventory items for others to pick up.

Though personally I like realism a lot, I have heard a lot of people complain that paying people even with /pay is already too hard because the recipient needs to actually be on the proper character etc. With a physical currency I don't think it would make sense to keep the /pay command mechanism. The alternative is actually physically handing someone the money. Though as stated I suspect a lot of people won't like it because of the logistical difficulties involved. Perhaps with an improved bank plugin you could do automatic transfers of physical currency, that would mostly alleviate this problem.

The vault part of the idea doesn't really make sense, because as it functions currently that what is displayed in your /bal is your pocket money. All of your other money is typically on the bank.
On death your pocket money is dropped along with your inventory items for others to pick up.

Though personally I like realism a lot, I have heard a lot of people complain that paying people even with /pay is already too hard because the recipient needs to actually be on the proper character etc. With a physical currency I don't think it would make sense to keep the /pay command mechanism. The alternative is actually physically handing someone the money. Though as stated I suspect a lot of people won't like it because of the logistical difficulties involved. Perhaps with an improved bank plugin you could do automatic transfers of physical currency, that would mostly alleviate this problem.
As you describe them, these "Logistical difficulties" may actually do more good than harm. Right now, it is possible to pay someone from across the globe, yet this doesn't really fit the type of game we are playing. Regarding a physical currency, I think the removal of /pay does wonders here, for one has to RP paying someone or handing them money.

As you describe them, these "Logistical difficulties" may actually do more good than harm. Right now, it is possible to pay someone from across the globe, yet this doesn't really fit the type of game we are playing. Regarding a physical currency, I think the removal of /pay does wonders here, for one has to RP paying someone or handing them money.
Well I don't disagree, as I said, I personally really like realism.

Personally, I enjoy the idea of physical money, as you lose money and no one around gets it if you get killed, mugged, or otherwise IC. Aside from that, I raise the notion of the difficulty in the ushop pluggin transferring to that if not having to remove it all together. It runs pretty well right now, can even handle lores items and can tell if there are any imperfections in the item. And honestly, we have a larger player base from a variety of different places, so having any functional shop that is always around when I’m not drives profit. Money needs to be used to keep faction titles, etc, etc. If this gets through, we have to find a solution for the shops.

Most likely it's technically very feasible.
as you lose money and no one around gets it if you get killed, mugged, or otherwise IC.
With physical money you would of course drop the money as items. Currently players are supposed to drop their andros on death for anyone around to pick up too, but this doesn't happen consistently, that's a known very problematic bug that's scheduled to get fixed.

The difficulties of this system come, mainly, from the potential duplication issues that could happen. Indeed, duplicating items in Minecraft is a really big problem that is plaguing Vanilla Survival servers the most.

Likewise, this comes with all sorts of potential tracking issues, in the sense that it's easy to stop fraudulent transactions when the currency is digital (i.e. the /pay command could be limited to players in a 15 block range, and money can't just appear out of nowhere).

I also have fears of counterfit coins using the /edititem feature, which might make it seem realistic but could actually be quite a big problem for the casual players which could be oblivious to all this especially if it's someone they trust (though a fix for this is as simple as a custom item texture which can STRICTLY not be applied by normal players).

Storage also becomes very difficult to maintain, as well as counting a player's real balance. This is to say, how can I be sure a player has (x) coins? A plugin would have to count coins at runtime or count all transactions and item drops/pick-ups as they happen. Such a problem does not exist with a digital currency.

A plugin implementation is also not the easiest to make, though I have made a similar physical-currency plugin before and know it is possible, at least in theory.

TL;DR It's an interesting idea but I fear it might have many problems which we need to account for if we want to make sure it all goes according to plan.

Back