Catharsis

(A creative writing post inspired by Invictus By: William Earnest Henley)

The stars loomed overhead from outside the window, as the 'Cerr played with his hair. Idly matching it to the pitch black of night's canvas.
Black as the pit from pole to pole.
He'd say an idle prayer to his god for the strength he'd been granted. His gaze would only linger on the forest as that time of night drew near.
I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul.

The sore loser had bitten his tongue for the last time, and it was now he'd help his wife out of bed.
For he would not linger on what time he was allowed, only that he had time now.

In the fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced, nor cried aloud.
Unlike so many night's before he'd no longer let her be strong on her own, walking every step of the way with a smile.
His green eyes, though soft, would make there way to find hers every morning as he set the table.

Under the bludgeoning of chance, my head is bloodied, but unbowed.

The husband would devote himself to her time, still his heart worried and yearned for her safety.
Watching as she breathed heavy, trying to keep up with the children as they began to play outside.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears, looms the Horror of the shade.
Though still he'd watch her laugh, and fight, and live for every moment as she always had.
Going on to train her pupils, and give firm wisdom to those who needed it more than her at her age.

The menace of the years, finds and shall find me unafraid.

His mind would trail back to the years they've spent together.
How much he wished he could've met her earlier, married her earlier.

It matters not how straight the gate,
His body burned with a somber flame, resting beside her once again for the night.
How charged with punishments the scroll,

And again he would promise to himself, waking himself for those early hours.
He would uphold all she asks of him, as he's always done. Not letting his will be shaken as the next night neared.

I am the master of my fate,
I am the Captain of My Soul.

Back