The Attian/Hadrian Accent

Yan

yeah its me
Heya people, new guy here.

Excuse the lack of formatting for this, I am writing this before heading out to work so I can't be bothered.

I am writing this suggestion in regards to the "Lower Attian" dialect within the context of me being actually a german speaking person from germany (also known as a german).
It legit pains me to see this dialect as it is a downright caricature where german words are randomly used to make it look like a dialect, yet in a way that no english speaking person with a german accent would ever do.

To put it into context, this dialect is akin to me walking up to an italian person and going: "I cook-a da pizza, mama mia! Where is-a da gabagool, bambino?"
Or going up to a french person and going: "Hon hon hon! Look at zis, how do you say, baguette!"

Obviously the Low Attian dialect has a place within the Hadrian Empire's culture and I am not advocating for removing the concept, but just blindly replacing You with Du and I with Ich is not only nonsensical, in most cases it is not even grammatically correct.

No native german speaker would accidentally use Ich instead of I or Du instead of You, the words are too dissimilar.
Instead words that are similar in both languages are more likely to be used on accident, such as 'und' instead of 'and'.
Grütte and Föhrwell are also akin to the gibberish people on english speaking TV tend to say when they do not speak the language but want to sound german.
Grütte would be Grüsse, or rather Grüße (but I doubt you have that on your keyboard) and Föhrwell would be Lebewohl (which essentially means 'live well') or Liebwohl (lit. love well, but more in line with 'be well').
The Attian greeting can also be further changed in the context of the Alderist faith, as in german Grüße originally came from 'Grüß Gott' (greet god), which could be contextualized as 'Grüss Alder'.

I am open and happy to give further tips on how this could be improved via Discord, if only for the sake of sparing me the pain of being faced with a downright offensive dialect.

hi yan!
i'd love to see you make a lingojam translator with your suggested word list actually
https://lingojam.com <3
dm me if u need help as always i got you covered my favorite smith

Back