What praise should linger?

*The following is an excerpt from a recent self study I felt like detailing further in the spirit of recent creative prompts, I hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoyed writing.*

Sat within the hearth of Volcano Sanctum, the 'Cerr kept his arms still in prostration to his focus... Having spent the night amongst the molten chatter of lava, only willing to utter his deepest kept disillusions in response. His long, sleek hair tied up away from the floor, he sat cross both figuratively and literally while exhuming the grudges which would interrupt his search for a familiar companion. After a long pause, he let his voice ring out alone against the stone walls. "Perhaps it's simply true... The strongest... Wisest... Quickest, survives. A hunter's morality is the only compass worth following in a world so absorbed in it's own ego."

The man could only ponder at this for a breath longer, lest he never get a moment to commit to it again. "If so, I'm excused- Of my sins, and all moral disgruntlement." He'd breath out almost in relief at the thought. "Perhaps then I can fulfill my purpose, and duty with irreverence to the reason..." He'd let his eyes open, blinking away the blurry film that had gathered from rest.

Gripping the sphalerite within his right palm, he would raise his left and grip at the unseen fabric. Tearing his way into Ignos' realm, as he'd lift himself to a knee while his blood rushed back to his legs.
"Then, let them all know the truth. What I do now, I do not for any deity, morality, or honor..." He'd announce with a deserted tone. "I owe nothing to anyone but myself, and my choices. Treat me as they will- for I was placed here amongst them unwillingly." Apollon sinking into a macabre, and nihilistic sense of veracity.

His focus would draw upon the open tear, within held the steadfast fervor of flames itself.
"I call upon a confidant that would aid me and know my strife. That this life is a game, and the only way to play it is by feasting upon every moment, and mocking it's manic chefs." He'd assert while his gentle smile would grow pleased and giddy like a jester. "I will be your harlequin dear gods above and you will laugh when my time comes and swallows me whole!"

The man would draw from the gate a black wolf of ash, it's fur lined with grey tint... With eyes golden like the sun, it's tails numbered nine, the beast howling with a cackle. "In the meantime," The 'Cerr would reach under the wolfs chin, scratching gently. "I have a banquet to gorge on... Watch as we chase the sun across the sky and eat it whole. When our game is finish there will be no more 'Soll to remember, and the sky's black void will finally mirror your empty hearts."

Turning on his heel Apollon would saunter from the sanctum, speaking to his new found familiar. "When we die, we will roar like a comedy... You, and I Skoll, when we fade I wonder if we'll be abandoned by the gods who love us so dearly..."

Back