Goodbye

[This is a short story on Aelorns past about an unfortunate loss of his life and of course none of this should be taken icly unless told otherwise Yada Yada]

Ps: lemme know what you guys think of this small story :3

Aelorn stared off the cliff, facing the shore, as he let out a soft sigh at the scene. His eyes glided over the bay, brushing his hands along the blades of soft grass underneath him. Feeling the light breeze ruffle his hair, he brought his hand up to run his fingers through his hair, de-knotting it carefully to avoid pulling too hard.

"It's been growing quite a bit," an old voice chuckled out behind him. Turning his head, he saw a rather old Halfling standing at a very short 112cm compared to his own 199cm height. The young teen stared at the Halfling, also chuckling lightly. "Yes, it appears so," he mused as he brought his hand down, letting it rest at his side, and stared at the shorter male curiously. "What brings you here, Wardhag?" he asked, peering down at the Halfling, tilting his head.

Wardhag reached into a dingy leather satchel hanging loosely around his waist and pulled out a bag filled to the rim with berries, handing them to Aelorn. "What? A Halfling can't gift his grandson a final present?" Once again, Aelorn simply stared curiously, not at being called ‘grandson’—it was a term of endearment Wardhag started calling him after all their years together.

Wardhag shot the young high elf a pitiful smile as he walked past him to stare at the shoreline Aelorn had been staring at moments prior. The Halfling sat down, taking in a deep breath, his bushy brown beard, covered with small gray flecks, showing his age, rustling at the deep breath. Aelorn walked over, sitting beside Wardhag, a frown on his face as he suddenly began to feel a stew of emotions bubble up deep in his stomach.

"Look at you. We were born around the same time… but you're so strong. So spry, so young. Me, on the other hand… that's a different story," he chuckled out almost bitterly. "You have so much more time. So, so much more time."

Aelorn began to feel tears prick at the corners of his eyes, a deep pit of dread opening up within his stomach as a feeling of nausea started to overcome him. "I'm dying. I don't have much time left. Maybe a few months if I'm lucky, a few weeks at the very least. Yet to you, those final moments of my life will feel like a flash, especially if I spend my last few days bedridden."

Aelorn opened his mouth, wanting to say something, to respond, but he couldn't. Anytime he opened his mouth, no sound came out, no matter how hard he tried. He could only stare helplessly at the withering effects of time.

"This is going to be the last time you see me. I don't want you to see the sorry state I'll end up in. I don't have any family, nothing true to my name, nothing to leave behind except for you, Aelorn. I want to thank you for making this old hermit's last few years memorable."

Wardhag got up and turned to leave. Aelorn twisted his entire body as he suddenly tried to sit up, but his legs grew numb, still trying to process the reality of the situation, as he fell to the ground, watching his pseudo-parental figure walk away. He reached a hand out, feeling a deep burning within the back of his brain, a prickly pain stinging his eyes. His mouth shot open as he finally spoke.

"WARDHAG!" It was a desperate attempt to call out for the Halfling, but the shorter being's steps never faltered, not once, as he eventually disappeared into the clearing of trees.

Aelorn simply laid there for a long moment, looking blankly at the soil beneath him. He closed his mouth, his jaw clenching tightly as a scowl appeared on his face, the helpless feeling returning in full force, just like that day. He tried to keep his composure and sat up, but his body gave in, and he fell back down, staring at the wispy clouds hanging in the purplish-orange dimming sky. He could only let out a deep guttural cry as tears fell down his face, despising the despair he felt, knowing he couldn't do anything to change it.​

Now that I actually read it there are so many problems with it 😭 I'll leave it like it is for now just as a reminder on how bad it is lmfao

Back