Magic Slots Mandate Metagaming

Foxtrek_64

Metagaming is, as we all know, using or allowing OOC knowledge to influence in character decisions, actions, and motivations. Magic slots compel us to do exactly this.

Take the following scenario. I create my first character. They, in rp, find a teacher who is able to teach them magic and they successfully become a caster. Great, I've used my magic slot, all is well. Now I create a second character. Perhaps this second character is a scholar. They have a curiosity about magic and study it from a technical viewpoint, but have never had the opportunity to learn. They make a friend with a person who is able to teach them magic who offers to teach them magic. Learning magic has been a life long dream for this second character of yours, but oops! Your first character has occupied your one and only magic slot. So now, you are required to metagame. You are required to use OOC knowledge that you can only have one character with magic to influence your character's decision and action to decline learning, despite their strong, in character motivation to learn magic.

One might say this is a contrived scenario, but it's entirely possible that something like this may come up. And it's entirely possible it may not even be the player's intent. Perhaps the second character has no interest in magic when they're created, but after some time playing on the server with them, learning magic becomes necessary due to RP things happening around them, or perhaps their spouse really desires to teach them.

Being compelled to break server rules and tell people "hey guys, sorry, I can't learn magic because another character of mine has magic already" feels strange at best, but it's a natural consequence of a magic slot system. And I think nobody would bat an eye if someone killed their first character to let their second character have magic and it was called metagaming.

The easy solution to this is just do away with magic slots, but this blanket solution is a bit brutish and will likely introduce other issues that are intended to be solved by having a slot system.

This isn't really a "suggestion" per se, since I'm not entirely sure how to resolve this issue. I just wanted to make a post as a sort of thought experiment to see what comes of the dialog. It's a curious problem caused by a system that has good intent, but ultimately fails to comply with server rules.

It’s not really “metagaming” in the rule breaking sense, but I understand where you’re coming from. With current lore it doesn’t make sense that the character couldn’t learn in your example.

Rather than altering magic slot rules though a simple solution could be to make a slight alteration to magic lore and make it so not every single person in the world is compatible with magic. At that point it can be explained away IC at the very least.

Just a thought though, there are likely better solutions.

This holds truth indeed, the solution would be to not create a character that could be interested in magic but even then it can still occur as you say.

Although the other side of the coin if you would remove the limit on mage characters you'd have people specifically looking for teachers on multiple characters reducing the amount of people that long term could enjoy it (as even now we have a lot of folks acquiring magic and then leaving after they hit lvl3 or 4)

So it is as you said, there isn't a one fits all solution to this and what we have now is for now probably still best

In the current system, everyone that can find a teacher can learn magic, so we rely on OOC means to limit the number of magic characters. It works, but I personally prefer IC systems whenever possible. In an IC restricted system, regardless of what that system would look like, we would either need to restrict the number of people who can teach magic (perhaps only masters of a particular type/field/whatever it's called) or we need to restrict the number of people who can learn, such as requiring a certain rare item to give someone magical adeptitude or an event to "spark" that adeptitude within them, as controlled by the lore team.

I'm not too worried about the implementation details in this particular post, just pointing out what would need to be in place if we shifted from restricting this OOCly to restricting this ICly.

I am definitely 100% on board with not allowing just everyone to know or learn magic.

The simplest solution would be to simply not give your second character connotations to magic roleplay.

The simplest solution would be to simply not give your second character connotations to magic roleplay.
I agree. This seems like a very, very specific situation that 99% of players wouldn't face. I cannot say, "I understand" when I simply do not know where this post is coming from. This is a minor inconvenience at best. Though not metagaming in the slightest.

Back