An Echo in the Forest

The air is oddly stagnant that morning. Morning birds did not chirp in the capital, no winds, nor a noise. As the sun rose, a few private letters were dispersed. A final yellowed piece of paper on the colony noticeboard. It looks oddly official but without the red ink. It reads the following:
elaine_window_fin1.png

*Credits to Parker/Miiyrth for the Art*
The first and last tiefling Khari'cerr passed peacefully in the presence of her adopted sons and loving husband. Jolie Elaine Lovell will be remembered for having brought new life and stability to the Glade during her rule, being fair and just in her honoring of 'Cerr tradition despite her race. Elaine had been fighting and infection brought on by child birth for upwards of a year, gifting what remained of her life to those she loved and fighting off death to the bitter end until she was told her work had finally been finished. Her funeral will be hosted by her husband and details shall be posted once the family has had their time to mourn. The following is her final words to her loved ones, for those who could not attend her last moments.

~ High Councilor and Husband of Elaine, Apollon Lovell
Sunday 31, Godsnight, 1546

image_2024-05-08_001101688.png

Apollon’s Letter:
After all of these years, you’ve stayed. I can only imagine how much I’ve put you through. And you’re still here. Even as my spirit walks around the halls of the palace, and as it hangs around my burial site, I will never forget my love for you. I know I don’t have a lot of time left as I write this. You have been the best moments of my life. I’m sorry I didn’t let you know sooner. Please keep practicing your magic skills. From the weak man I once knew to someone so confident, your change has been nothing short of beautiful. I’ve no regrets on Eseron, but only that we didn’t get one more day. Remember that short, lively red de’nevir you fell in love with.

Briette and Adriel’s Letter:
Briette, you do have a father. Please find the blue de’nevir with a mangled eye. He will tell you much more about me. The stories, my love for you. I will never forget when you were handed to me. My life had never been more fulfilling. I love you. Adriel, never feel guilt. My body was getting weaker before I had you. Even while I write this, I feel nothing but joy to know I had my biological son. Your eyes are just like mine. And I know Apollon will keep you safe. When you’re old enough, ask about the scary stories that have been told about me! Your mom was pretty cool.

Ikandrol’s Letter:
I wasn’t the lovefool. I believe you did love me. Just as much as I did. I’ll see you in purgatory. As both of our sins will never be forgiven. Any God would be ashamed to look our way. Don’t forget about our daughter. Nor those red tulips. That arm of yours, you’ll need to figure out how to fix it yourself. Briette and Apollon, please don’t leave them alone. I’m afraid Apollon will slip into a phase of some sort. He needs a shoulder to lean on more than anything.

Faiir’s Letter:
I’m sorry I’ve been so late to tell you anything. I’m sorry. And I found comfort in avoiding your affection because of this moment. Even as grown as I am, I have the fears of a little girl. Please check in on Apollon. Complete my final wish, as well. Malakai means well. He does. Any comments he makes, please ignore them. He’ll come around eventually. Even if it’s in one hundred years. But you both have that time. I didn’t. Tell Aldarian his silly ban is lifted, and tell Cirlia. Hopefully, my reign hasn’t skewed her perception of De’nevir too terribly. She’s an excellent Aeri’cill. And perhaps even I was intimidated by her beauty.

Malakai and Arven’s Letter:
The world is far crueler than me. I hope Apollon’s lectures were listened to. A de’nevir was only meant to be a blink in your eyes. I had only wished for humility as that was the final test before I could lay myself to rest. My love runs deep, but I could not stand to bear this. Now it is up to you two. I wish to be a lesson. And before the funeral comes around, I pray solemnly that Apollon finds that you’ve both completed your tests. I am not sure what else to say now. You two have been the reason I’ve kept myself alive. Everything you do, do it in confidence, at the least.
OOC Answers from Buggie herself
Hey there! So I typed this bit myself, but I know this will leave you all with a lot of questions. So let me answer them. If anything goes unanswered, send me a private message. But here we go.

Is this serious? Yes. Check her card, Elaine is dead. If you don’t have deathspeaker.
What happened? So, here’s some backstory. Since the start of my position as Head Loremaster, I have become a self-critic. It doesn’t make sense for a tiefling to be Khari’cerr. And I have to say this– no one told me to do this. This was all my idea. I then go to some friends of mine and Arkhun himself and ask them about it. I have decided to switch characters to be Khari’cerr on. Everything that has happened has been with his and my glade sister’s approval. So, please welcome the new leader in the following post! Do note that this decision wasn’t on a whim. Thank you to TammyPiggie for making her skin and the artist I commissioned for this new Azari’cerr.
What’s to come? A few changes. Mainly being my new character and everyone adjusting to her. But truly a new era for Mitrona with everyone's well-being in check. I’ll be here, of course, to keep up with the nation. But I must say, this is me taking a firmer step back and working on Mitrona and lore from an OOC standpoint. I’ll be here IC, but I’m afraid the new Khari’cerr won’t be too keen on opening up and being personal.

Thank you for the laughs and good times. Feel free to reminisce. And I hope to find cool IC responses B3

Last edited:
Amari awakes.. She has an odd feeling. One that a year after her incident where she got the powers of an Oracle, she had started to adjust to. It was a nagging feeling, one of loss. She sees a pair of eyes closed but she doesn't know whose.

"This.. Is not a good feeling. I've not felt this.. Sense? This.. Feeling. So close before"

She walks outside Lumosas home.. Her home, but she still holds her memory true. She would water the plants, garden, her normal routine. Her servant, Lynne, not on arrival yet. Amari would go, and look around. She sees people crying, she hears somber. And then she reads the notice

"No.. I, had just asked her to be a mother figure to me. To care for me when I'm here. I reached out for help.. And now.. No.. No.. This.. No. I..i loved her in an odd way. No..this..cant be real. "

Tears would flood her face and she goes back home locking the door.

[!] Thaniel sits beneath a tree, enjoying the rain dripping through the leaves and onto his skin. Today has been a good day. A parchment floats down and land sin his lap. His ears perk up as he looks to the paper. His expression drops as the rain picks up, becoming a storm. Thunder cracks as he continues to franticly read. [!]
"No... no no no no....-"
[!] His eyes widen in realization, events flashing before his eyes as lightning illuminates the sky [!]
"She... she knew... she's been straining herself... for us...? Why-"
[!] The storm clears, revealing the countless stars in the night sky. Despite the rain stopping, water continued to stream down his cheeks [!]

Faiir sat in her manner, the notice and her letter in hand as she requested to be left alone for just a few minutes. She began to sob, she was shaking and finding it head to believe, her eyes blood shot and her entire emotional state broken, "Jolie you poor thing.. you were too young to go... If only I knew how much you needed our help..."

Honestly that was an insane decision to make, much respect for it 🫡

Though I will say I feel as though much of Mitronas great growth and activity in recent months was due to your and your council’s openness to rp with all those that came through. I can’t say whether or not your choice to step back to focus more on the ooc lore aspects may affect that. I suppose time will tell. Best of luck to you all in mitrona

This message makes it's way to a familiar figure, who glances at it in passing. His footsteps falter, tearing the notice from the wall. Red hands tear the notice to pieces, golden eyes swelling with tears

"FUCK!"

Steps turn into a run as the Tiefling makes all haste for Mitrona, hopping walls and dodging guards

As Aldarian returned to Luminion from his trip to Hadrana, he noticed a dove flying down onto his shoulder as he received the letter from Faiir. He gently opened the letter and carefully read its contents, his eyes widening as he felt a sense of pain in his heart. "M-My... Niece.. passed.. away?" he muttered to himself as he rubbed his forehead, trying to process it all. "There.. was still much to talk out.. between me and her.. but I never got the chance for it.. " He felt a sense of regret wash over him as he let out a deep sigh. "I may.. have been a traitor for Mitrona, but this.. is.. not the way I expected my banishment to be lifted.. I'll.. I'll need time to think this over and let it settle.. before I decide to make a hasty decision.."

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆
and she whispers, how could you do this to me?

a lone flower crown of delicately weaved maroon and ginger tulips lay dormant on a windowsill, forgotten.
moonlight morphs the petal’s colors, the crown not all that old, but wilting just the same; as if the very essence of its existence had died with her.

her.

he had watched her wilt.
she wilted, tangled in their arms; together, at last, again, but so fleeting, so fickle.

❝it’s your turn,❞
she had said.
write a story you’d be proud of.❞

but all he could feel was unbridled rage; at the world, at the circumstance. they left, they always left一by slaughter, by illness, by abandonment - they left! what did he do, so terribly wrong, to deserve such wilt, such devastation?

write a story you’d be proud of, she had said. it was her final wish, and yet here he lay; entranced in a wicked fury unlike all else一untameable, unmalleable. the guilt that clawed viciously up his throat left deep gashes, it left him
choking on his own bile. the betrayals, the disappointments, the immeasurable pain left behind in those honey-filled eyes.

malakai was rage.
(while i was busy waging wars on myself,

you were trying to stop the fight)

malakai was his own devastation.
(you made me compliment myself,
when it was way too hard to take)

malakai was vile, ruthless.
(will you never say that you love me,
just to put it in my face?)

malakai was anarchy.
(and do whatever it takes in your heart,

to leave me behind)

and now,
malakai was nothing.

☽。⋆

OOC: lyrics from the song ‘Hate Me’ by Blue October :3

art by evangelo
Elaine_kai_comm_2.png

Last edited:
a lone flower crown of delicately weaved maroon and ginger tulips lay dormant on a windowsill, forgotten.
moonlight morphs the petal’s colors, the crown not all that old, but wilting just the same; as if the very essence of its existence had died with her.

her.

he had watched her wilt.
she wilted, tangled in their arms; together, at last, again, but so fleeting, so fickle.

❝it’s your turn,❞
she had said.
write a story you’d be proud of.❞

but all he could feel was unbridled rage; at the world, at the circumstance. they left, they always left一by slaughter, by illness, by abandonment - they left! what did he do, so terribly wrong, to deserve such wilt, such devastation?

write a story you’d be proud of, she had said. it was her final wish, and yet here he lay; entranced in a wicked fury unlike all else一untameable, unmalleable. the guilt that clawed viciously up his throat left deep gashes, it left him
choking on his own bile. the betrayals, the disappointments, the immeasurable pain left behind in those honey-filled eyes.

malakai was rage.
(while i was busy waging wars on myself,

you were trying to stop the fight)

malakai was his own devastation.
(you made me compliment myself,
when it was way too hard to take)

malakai was vile, ruthless.
(will you never say that you love me,
just to put it in my face?)

malakai was anarchy.
(and do whatever it takes in your heart,

to leave me behind)

and now,
malakai was nothing.

☽。⋆

OOC: lyrics from the song ‘Hate Me’ by Blue October :3

art by evangelo
View attachment 5768
They were everything to me

In tarot, death was a slow, eternal march. Something you always knew was there. Something inevitable. That's what Kanari had taught him years ago.

Now, it was here. Living in the still corpse of a red tiefling before his eyes. Woundless, save scars from battles past. Breathing through her empty lungs, swimming in the still veins. A hollow shell for death itself to make a home in.

"Get up."

Unanswered.

"Elaine. Get up."

His lip curls back in a snarl, as if the shift to disbelief could be covered by it. Practically tasting the stillness in the air, the salt of the tears from those around him. Of his own.

There wasn't time to grieve now. With war looming in Anjyarr, the threat of a necromancer to Sunscape, and the Bone Lord. Among everything else? Grief was a waste of energy that was in dangerously low supply. Energy had to go to keeping up a mask. Being brave. Not letting a sliver of grief, of weakness, through.

Grief shifted, melting down and bubbling back up in his gut. Rage filled him, burning as smoke filled his lungs, searing his throat with every breath. There was a target. A single individual to take everything out on. And streets would run red with their blood.

There was only one card feared more than death in tarot.

The tower.

Faroz would be walking past Aerial when his chameleon would come scampering to him, a piece of parchment wrapped in his tail. As he read what it had to say, his expression solemns. He staggers back a bit, dizzy from the news. His ears begin to ring and his heart starts beating erratically. As he rests on the ground he says to himself with a dazed look “You were the one to bring me into the forest. You gave me refuge after years of suffering, uncertainty, and fear. Without you, I doubt I’d be alive now. Frustrations aside, I can’t think of a bad quality of yours. You will be missed deeply by all within Myln.” Faroz would dismiss Hua for the time being and head back to the forest for mourning.

Eldrion would be walking through luminion as he came accros the notice board before picking up the letter as he reads it carefully line by line..
for a moment he stood there in a moment of silence before muttering the words
" death come's for us all, but may you rest peacefully Jolie Elaine lovell. our friendship was messy and short, but you made me a better elf." as he would ride off to Mitrona to pay respects at her grave

[!]Taimuer would read the notice and sigh, keeping on his walk to his business[!]
“May ye rest in peace lass, and may yer successor be just as good of a leader if not better, may the helmet that was made for ye and ye only decorate yer halls or yer tomb, for anywhere else would be an unfitting fate for something that belonged solely to ye”
[!]He’d return to his forge and continue his work, raising his hammer for the Khari’cerr before bringing it down[!]

Death is the departure from the realm of the living– An inevitable part of the cycle of any existence, marking the end of anything or anyone..

–𝕃𝕚𝕗𝕖 𝕚𝕤 𝕗𝕣𝕒𝕚𝕝.

When was the last time he had grieved someone?– His thoughts seemed to be drifting to memories.. Her death was peaceful, her legacy profound.
But despite the sense of closure, the peace her passing brought, Ike couldn't shake the emptiness that now consumed him. A profound sense of unease settled within him, a nagging discomfort gnawing at his consciousness.

𝕊𝕦𝕗𝕗𝕠𝕔𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕟𝕘.

He yearned for closure, to be able fully embrace the weight of such a loss– He knew he had to pay his respects, to honor her memory and find solace in mourning.. Yet, despite the turmoil raging within him, his exterior remained stoic, his dead eyes betraying no hint of sadness, hands shaking in slight panic at this.

𝔹𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕥𝕙𝕖
Droplets trailed down Ike's face– Fingers numb as they reached out for something, anything to ground him. His eyes widened in a moment of realization, a fleeting surprise washing over his features.. Oh!

..𝕎𝕙𝕖𝕟 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕝𝕒𝕤𝕥 𝕥𝕚𝕞𝕖 𝕙𝕖 𝕙𝕒𝕕 𝕤𝕙𝕖𝕕 𝕥𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕤 𝕠𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕤𝕠𝕞𝕖𝕠𝕟𝕖?

With faltering steps, he barely made his way inside, the weight of his sorrow pressing down until his legs could no longer support him. Collapsing, he curled into himself, unable to move further Tears now flowed freely.

“I'm sorry, I'm so sorry.. I just Why did I choose the easy way out?”

Caligo reads over the notice. His expression, initially one of shock, fades to impassiveness.

“I suppose that’s it, then.”

The words leave his mouth without his consent, his focus still on the news. He had not known Elaine on a personal level, but he had known her and had thought of her fondly.

He is oddly calm as his eyes trail down to the short notice below, and it sinks in. Gone was the first Khari’cerr he had lived under who had not tried to kill him, the first Khari’cerr who had not filled him with an endless sea of hatred, the first person he’d ever truly looked to as a leader who hadn’t wronged him.

He walks away, face still devoid of emotion.

He’d have check on Faiir soon.

The Palace felt oddly silent, and for once, Elmyra was dreading it. She very quickly found out why the moment a servant walked into her room without notice, the most distressed looked on her face.

"No, no no no no.."

Papers flew off her desk as she pushed herself off the chair and towards the servant, squeezing her shoulders and pulling her closer.

"This better not be a fucking joke..."

No matter how hard she tried to sound serious and stern, her voice was shaking. She, was shaking.

Her mind ran as fast as her feet did through the palace halls. Servants were pushed out of her way as she'd reached her doors room, and... Froze.

With her hand hovering over the handle of the slightly ajar door, she just stood there, listening to the sobs of her son's. The people she considered family. The family that she hadn't cared enough to get to know, despite living under the same roof with them.

Stumbling back, she turned on her heel and left, a trail of teardrops left in her wake.

'No matter,'

She thought,

'the next Khari'cerr will be here. It will be just like when Elaine got here.'

'...'

Her thoughts silenced. Only one word echoed.

"Elaine.."

Krisa slowly reads through the paper, its official look making his mind go to one place. A thought came to his mind, one that he knew sooner or later he would have to face, but even now, he paused for a moment.

"Ya c'uldn' 'ave wait'd just a few more days..."

He mutters to himself, just barely holding his flames back from consuming the parchment in his hand. The orc lets an almost silent sigh out. This was something he had been preparing for. This moment was not a surprise, but that fact did not help his mind. He lets go of the paper, letting it fly with the wind as he turns to leave, smiling a little.

"'Ope the grave's fancy 'nuff. Rest peacefully ya lil' red demon"

Briette lies in bed, the letter resting idly on her bedside table. This morning's eerie shift in atmosphere sends a knowing misfortune in this notice, but she eventually collects her courage to reach for the envelope and gently release the seal. Her eyes scan with a trudge, and a knowing fate awaits as she grasps the letter inside and gradually raises it to view.

The abrupt direction and realization of her father strike her eyes. It does not take long for her to recognize what has occurred, though her mind has not fully comprehended it. Her face, once neutral, now gains a despair. And the indolent Briette waits in bed, pondering how to proceed.

Back