Server Announcement Think along! - The next CRP update.

Arkhun

Kaiser of the Hadrian Empire, Based High elf, God
Staff member
1690643511_new_piotr-arendzikowski-bitwapodgrunwaldemn.jpg

div2.png

Discussing the next CRP update!

Greetings and salutations friends! I'm currently working on updating the CRP rules. Adding rules for the new systems, and looking at the old ones with a fresh look.
In order to ensure I can optimize the rules and make the system as a whole more enjoyable for all, I am looking for public feedback from those who are mostly using it, you all!

If you wish to contribute, please post something under this thread and be as thorough as possible!
Divider.png

What am I looking for in this feedback?

• General Feedback on the CRP rules.
  • Changes/additions you would like to see and why.
  • How to handle armor and/or creature size in CRP.
  • Your own thoughts!
Divider.png

Please share as much as you can on CRP!
Note: Not every suggestion posted here WILL be added to the CRP rules. This thread is simply a public think tank!

Versatile weapons (similar to DnD), just make a different damage profile for 1-handed wielding and 2-handed wielding for things like swords.

Armour could be disadvantage for a slashing/ineffective weapon, so swords would have a negative modifier or disadvantage, maces and hammers get the opposite.

Add some sort of thing for mounts, it could be 1-handed only while riding but you get extra movement speed.

This isn’t particularly thorough as it isn’t a fully fleshed out idea, but dual-wielding for sword-base weapons could be cool. It’d require some balancing (no movement action if you decide to attack with both weapons, maybe? Or you’d have to roll a d2 for damage instead of a d3?), but it would add an interesting layer to combat.

Another thing could be custom item models for loremaster-approved weapons. It’d add more immersion, and would just be fun design-wise. It’d also set items with possible additional effects apart from items that don’t.

Oh and let people move diagonally please.

Tyty ^^

Shalom. I will list things I myself would like to see;

- More importance on stats during fights, instead of what is a very much luck-based system that we have now. I do not like the fact that a 7 year old could beat up a fully armoured soldier in any way shape or form, it just does not happen. Its a bit of realism we're lacking in my opinion. A system that leaves more room for RP during fights is also something I am an advocate for, because most fights can drag on very long and after a few rounds the emotes become "Jerry would try to slash Jeffrey in the neck" ROLLS 20.

- More importance on where people are hit and how they're hit. Currently there's no drawbacks from losing a fight unless people want it to, I think there should be a requirement for recovery at the very least if someone gets stabbed through the knee. We see too often that characters that were almost mortally wounded a day ago are jumping up and down and challenging people to fights the next day.

- The addition of armour stat-blocks, this would be in the form of what people wear on their skins (not actual minecraft armour, spoils the fun of having skins). For example, a knight in full plate armour would move slower than someone in leather armour, but could deflects or block strikes more easily. People would have to emote aiming for cracks in the armour to strike, and fighting becomes a bit more of a tactical game as it should be imo.

- More weapon variety, stat-blocks for them and an option for new ones to be submitted with supervision from a staff team (most likely LT). For example; greatswords, pikes, hammers, longbows, shortbows etc.

- Weapon proficiencies per race, for example Elves being generally better with bows and humans better with a sword (in the simplest of terms).

- I read the dual-wielding thing above so credit to Cavern, and if properly balanced it would be cool. Dual daggers should be allowed, people should be able to play assassin-like characters.

I'll edit this if more comes to mind.

Shalom. I will list things I myself would like to see;

- More importance on stats during fights, instead of what is a very much luck-based system that we have now. I do not like the fact that a 7 year old could beat up a fully armoured soldier in any way shape or form, it just does not happen. Its a bit of realism we're lacking in my opinion. A system that leaves more room for RP during fights is also something I am an advocate for, because most fights can drag on very long and after a few rounds the emotes become "Jerry would try to slash Jeffrey in the neck" ROLLS 20.

- More importance on where people are hit and how they're hit. Currently there's no drawbacks from losing a fight unless people want it to, I think there should be a requirement for recovery at the very least if someone gets stabbed through the knee. We see too often that characters that were almost mortally wounded a day ago are jumping up and down and challenging people to fights the next day.

- The addition of armour stat-blocks, this would be in the form of what people wear on their skins (not actual minecraft armour, spoils the fun of having skins). For example, a knight in full plate armour would move slower than someone in leather armour, but could deflects or block strikes more easily. People would have to emote aiming for cracks in the armour to strike, and fighting becomes a bit more of a tactical game as it should be imo.

- More weapon variety, stat-blocks for them and an option for new ones to be submitted with supervision from a staff team (most likely LT). For example; greatswords, pikes, hammers, longbows, shortbows etc.

- Weapon proficiencies per race, for example Elves being generally better with bows and humans better with a sword (in the simplest of terms).

- I read the dual-wielding thing above so credit to Cavern, and if properly balanced it would be cool. Dual daggers should be allowed, people should be able to play assassin-like characters.

I'll edit this if more comes to mind.
I agree with all of these points and come to elaborate on the first point:

If we imagine a bulky orc, as strong as he can get (12 strength) fighting an old, frail, grandma (2 strength), the orc will have an incredible roll advantage of 23,5% (!!!) over the grandma. That means his strikes will land 23,5% more likely than that of the grandma who, in roleplay, could barely hold a sword. I'm pretty sure we can all agree that's ridiculous.

That means that either the amount rolled should be decreased (From D20 to D10 for example, this is an easy way to address this without changing all the stat values), or we change all the stat values to be higher.

Last edited:
Two words, weapon skills
Having a big attack that uses all of a turn, so no movement, and just one attack, or maybe just multiple small attacks for some weapons.

Or, weapon training that lets non-magic users level up their ability to deal damage, or special effects like knocking down an enemy, doing bleed for a little, ect, allows non-mages to use a couple of the status conditions mages get access to.
just ideas tho

Edit: expanding a little more, passives that do things like decrease the requirements to use things like axe’s shield break to a 12 or lower, or increase the extra damage a trident does when they get a 15 or more.

Last edited:
* General Feedback

What I notice is that a lot of the new people.. have random and uneven stats and they don't really know the importance of rounded out stats..
this will translate too having poor performance in CRP for the new players until someone points it out randomly.

I feel in general that swords, and shield are too broken getting a free +2 on defense while "potentially" dealing 6 damage in a single turn.. and "maybe" taking 2 turns to kill a creature or player since the average HP of a player is 12.

* Changes / Additions I like to see.

What I like so see if a bit more importance of how that stats are explained to the new people, (uneven) stats give's nothing while (even stats) give's you a +1.

To comeback on the sword matter I suggest changing it to 2D2 or, for example while you have a sword and shield equipped you slash once causing D3 damage, and as a combo using a shield to deal a extra 1 damage so its being a bit more versatile with the HP pool.

Also would like to see a bit of different weapons profile like Sid / others said previously for example Longbow have more range more damage but less attacks meaning you can only attack once, while a Short-bow has less damage less range but you can do multiple attacks

A mace for example would ignore the heavy-plate / chainmail / leather armor and, just like the axes, the shields if rolling above a 15+.
Using a pole-arm for example give's you bonus attack range (6 instead of the usual 4 blocks).

Or small daggers that you can use for either stabbing or throwing, stabbing does d2 damage and give's the opponent bleeding (take 1 hp for 2 rounds), while throwing the dagger in a (7 block range) it does damage 3 but doesn't give the bleeding effect and the projectile can be retrieved but take a action.

* How to handle armor

For the current system I suggest using a flat stat block, for example using heavy-plate or chainmail armor give's you +2 in defense but slows down your movement, while for example leather armor give's you a +1 in defense but doesn't slow you down.

* Your own thoughts!

I Think the system works but still lacking a bit of mechanics or some flavor to it.. but then again.. its the third Big CRP update we maybe getting for only 2 years of F&F

Few things:

1. More types of weapons, some of them better than others at different things. I think we need more to separate a nation's army besides the amount of people they have and how many people they can mount on a horse. Having variety in equipment would help tremendously in helping the atmosphere of the server.
  2. Having different types of armor in CRP that provide certain buffs and debuffs, along with making armor slightly harder to come by. At this rate, anyone with a pickaxe can go get a set of armor and I think it should be much more difficult to come across full plate armor and easier to craft leather and chainmail pieces. This would not only help in CRP but also PvE against monsters and other players. I think having armor that can increase defensive rolls the heavier and more protected it is but also decrease agility rolls and potential mobility would also help. Overall, there should be light armor, medium armor, and heavy armor, and it should all be craftable depending on how hard it is to acquire.
  3. More qualities to existing weapons that can have a variety of traits. This would, in theory, eliminate the need to have loremasters swarming over crafting events, especially since they were never really a thing to begin with and all experiments with them have crashed and burned or been phased out.
Thank you for reading this massive block of text.

I made a document detailing what an update to things could possibly look like… Tried to make the balancing of it somewhat decent but it’s moreso just there for ideas.

Overall I think sticking to keeping things represented by plain Minecraft items is for the best, though we’ve got a lot of options to work with. Differentiating between an item held in one hand by itself, held with a shield, or two of them being held allows for three different options for each Minecraft tool, so there’s plenty of room to play around with new weapon concepts.

Armor can also be taken a few different ways if it even gets implemented at all, but I do agree with the earlier suggestions that it should give some debuffs in exchange for whatever buffs it gives.

More stats rather than the 4 we have now would be an improvement to rp and crp as a whole I believe. The 4 we started out with was a great temporary measure during a lot of the early development of FnF. However, since more players have come on the server, more opportunities have arisen and it's been obvious in some situations that all the stats don't really or shouldn't really represent what they do sometimes. Health scaling for instance as well as the difference between intelligence and wisdom.

Get rid of the defense stat and move to armor scaling. This is the only realistic way to make armor viable without having to be tedious with the defense stat. And when I speak of armor I saw in the comments that armor skins should be taken into a count but I highly disagree. Armor should be something craftable and valueble, rather than being something free just because it's on a skin. Similarly, if you have an axe on the back of your skin, it doesn't mean you get a free axe or carry an axe with you all the time.

More diverse weapon profiles has been said plenty of times. But I would suggest to add that if a player is dual wielding sword and shield, they should only be allowed to attack once for d3 damage rather than twice while also carrying a shield. Similar to two-handed weapons that can strike only once but with a heavier punch. And dual wielding would come into play here again to regain some hits per turn.

I have a load more suggestions but mostly it'll come with some other overhauls like proficiencies, resource gathering, etc. If interested you're free to pick my mind in dms ofcourse.

More stats rather than the 4 we have now would be an improvement to rp and crp as a whole I believe. The 4 we started out with was a great temporary measure during a lot of the early development of FnF. However, since more players have come on the server, more opportunities have arisen and it's been obvious in some situations that all the stats don't really or shouldn't really represent what they do sometimes. Health scaling for instance as well as the difference between intelligence and wisdom.

Get rid of the defense stat and move to armor scaling. This is the only realistic way to make armor viable without having to be tedious with the defense stat. And when I speak of armor I saw in the comments that armor skins should be taken into a count but I highly disagree. Armor should be something craftable and valueble, rather than being something free just because it's on a skin. Similarly, if you have an axe on the back of your skin, it doesn't mean you get a free axe or carry an axe with you all the time.

More diverse weapon profiles has been said plenty of times. But I would suggest to add that if a player is dual wielding sword and shield, they should only be allowed to attack once for d3 damage rather than twice while also carrying a shield. Similar to two-handed weapons that can strike only once but with a heavier punch. And dual wielding would come into play here again to regain some hits per turn.

I have a load more suggestions but mostly it'll come with some other overhauls like proficiencies, resource gathering, etc. If interested you're free to pick my mind in dms ofcourse.
I also think that a stat rework may be beneficial, having "Constitution" instead of defense, as a stat that influences max HPs and saves, and leaving "Defense" to Armor would be better.
This is a suggestion.

The idea would be to have damage classes related to weapon types, as the following:
  • Class 1 "Scratch" 1 damage, (punch)
  • Class 2 "Light Hit" 2/1d3 damage (1 arrow hit, a claw attack)
  • Class 3 "Medium Hit" 3/1d4 damage (a 1-H weapon hit, 1 crossbow bolt, 1 trident hit, a bite attack)
  • Class 4 "Heavy Hit" 4/1d6 damage (a 2-H weapon hit)
  • Class 5 "Deadly Hit" 6/1d10 damage
  • Class 6 2d6 damage
Now apply these rules for weapons and armors:
  • Anyone wearing armor would downscale damage class received by 1 (class 0 would prevent the damage).
  • A bigger size upscales damage class inflicted by 1(stackable), a lower size downscales damage class inflicted by 1.
  • Someone with a shield reduces damage class inflicted and received by 1
  • Dual Wielding two 1-H weapons downscales inflicted damage class by 1 but allows a second attack.
More Weapon types are not really worth to be specified in small scaled fights as current CRP is limited to.
It can very well be something to discuss about if you ever CRP battles and battle formations.
Nonetheless slimes can be resistant to Bludgeoning and axes , while skeletons can be resistant to cutting and swords.

I am also a fan of non decimal HP systems for RPGs as they help RP-ing more. This system may in fact be converted to one based on "wounds gravity" instead of HPs.
Instead of having a decimal number of HPs, someone could faint after a limited number of "Heavy Wounds", where e.g an Heavy Wound is worth 2 Medium Wounds, which is worth 4 Light Wounds aka 8 scratches.

I also think that a stat rework may be beneficial, having "Constitution" instead of defense, as a stat that influences max HPs and saves, and leaving "Defense" to Armor would be better.
This is a suggestion.

The idea would be to have damage classes related to weapon types, as the following:
  • Class 1 "Scratch" 1 damage, (punch)
  • Class 2 "Light Hit" 2/1d3 damage (1 arrow hit, a claw attack)
  • Class 3 "Medium Hit" 3/1d4 damage (a 1-H weapon hit, 1 crossbow bolt, 1 trident hit, a bite attack)
  • Class 4 "Heavy Hit" 4/1d6 damage (a 2-H weapon hit)
  • Class 5 "Deadly Hit" 6/1d10 damage
  • Class 6 2d6 damage
Now apply these rules for weapons and armors:
  • Anyone wearing armor would downscale damage class received by 1 (class 0 would prevent the damage).
  • A bigger size upscales damage class inflicted by 1(stackable), a lower size downscales damage class inflicted by 1.
  • Someone with a shield reduces damage class inflicted and received by 1
  • Dual Wielding two 1-H weapons downscales inflicted damage class by 1 but allows a second attack.
More Weapon types are not really worth to be specified in small scaled fights as current CRP is limited to.
It can very well be something to discuss about if you ever CRP battles and battle formations.
Nonetheless slimes can be resistant to Bludgeoning and axes , while skeletons can be resistant to cutting and swords.

I am also a fan of non decimal HP systems for RPGs as they help RP-ing more. This system may in fact be converted to one based on "wounds gravity" instead of HPs.
Instead of having a decimal number of HPs, someone could faint after a limited number of "Heavy Wounds", where e.g an Heavy Wound is worth 2 Medium Wounds, which is worth 4 Light Wounds aka 8 scratches.
Pretty much I was hinting at including constitution for hp and some special saves such as poison and whatever yeah.
But I think it's worth looking into redistributing the way stats work currently. Since if you go fully into one stat, it's hard to do anything else. So either you're balanced in stats which will make you ineffective in combat or you are a glass cannon.

Its possible to introduce Armor Class with a base armor class being 5-10 which increases with armor. This armor class dictates if a player is hit or not depending on the attack roll.

So if armor class is 10 then a player needs to roll 11 or higher in their attack for a hit. And below that is just a miss. This gives higher stats an advantage still during combat. Then the next step is tying armor class into a few different classes perhaps. Light/medium armor that scales with dexterity. Medium/heavy that scales with strength. And perhaps traits that allow people without armor but clothing items to gain armor class from it.

Heavily inspired by the actual way dungeons and dragons goes about it. But it would definitely need to be automated. So such armors can only be implemented once their crafting and gathering etc is ready and viable. Since you want armor class to be automatically visible instead of having to manually add all the numbers. So this rework is larger than just adding a few rules or snippets.

Additionally, I think it'd be nice to add something like a character UI which shows exactly which armor, rings, necklace, weapons a character is wearing. This could tie in with the automatic registering of armor class etc.

Pretty much I was hinting at including constitution for hp and some special saves such as poison and whatever yeah.
But I think it's worth looking into redistributing the way stats work currently. Since if you go fully into one stat, it's hard to do anything else. So either you're balanced in stats which will make you ineffective in combat or you are a glass cannon.

Its possible to introduce Armor Class with a base armor class being 5-10 which increases with armor. This armor class dictates if a player is hit or not depending on the attack roll.

So if armor class is 10 then a player needs to roll 11 or higher in their attack for a hit. And below that is just a miss. This gives higher stats an advantage still during combat. Then the next step is tying armor class into a few different classes perhaps. Light/medium armor that scales with dexterity. Medium/heavy that scales with strength. And perhaps traits that allow people without armor but clothing items to gain armor class from it.

Heavily inspired by the actual way dungeons and dragons goes about it. But it would definitely need to be automated. So such armors can only be implemented once their crafting and gathering etc is ready and viable. Since you want armor class to be automatically visible instead of having to manually add all the numbers. So this rework is larger than just adding a few rules or snippets.

Additionally, I think it'd be nice to add something like a character UI which shows exactly which armor, rings, necklace, weapons a character is wearing. This could tie in with the automatic registering of armor class etc.
Yes, AC is the standard approach, it's a valid and solid one and works pretty well.

Back